Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Our Year in Pie

Our new grandson, Arthur Campbell Lacey, at 11 days old
I can't believe we're at the end of February and I still haven't done my annual Year in Pie post for 2018! All I can say is that I've been a tad distracted of late–and who could blame me when one of those distractions is this adorable?

What is a Year in Pie?

Anyway, to explain, our family eats a lot of pies, usually at least one or two a month.  When we do, we'll use any extra crust to decorate the top in commemoration of whatever's currently going on in our lives–whether it's something big, like a birthday or holiday, or something small, like a fun thing we happened to do that day. Either way, it struck me a few years ago that looking back through the photos of the pies we'd made the previous year was almost like viewing a journal–in pastry. So fun!

Thus my annual Year in Pie post was born. If you're curious, you can see previous years' posts here:

     2017
     2016
     2015

and even view the recipe for our pies, which are made with no sugar or artificial sweeteners.

Drum Roll Please

I usually post about our pies in late December or early January, but I figure it's better late than never. :) Thus, even though it's nearly March, I now present the Clark household's pies of 2018...

JANUARY

We started 2018 with a classic lattice top, which my hubby enjoyed while watching his beloved Eagles earn their way to the Super Bowl.





FEBRUARY

February brought two pies, the first for Valentine's Day, made by my hubby...


...and the second made by me, to commemorate his birthday later that month. We spent that afternoon in the Poconos, hiking to a waterfall, so that night I tried to recreate the scene on his birthday pie. :)


That's the waterfall, behind us


MARCH

This one was made for our family's annual February/March Birthday Celebration. Between siblings, cousins, loved ones, etc., there are so many birthdays this time of year (14 at last count!) that we usually just have one big party for all, hence the Valentine/Shamrock motif.





APRIL

In April, we celebrated our dear friend Kay as she completed chemo treatments for breast cancer.










MAY

April showers bring you-know-what.




Also in May, we piled in the car for dinner out on Mother's Day...


...then we came home and enjoyed this pie, made by my hubby.





JUNE

Though not exactly the same kind of "pie", I have to mention this delicious Whoopie Pie, which we picked up from a roadside stand on a visit to Amish country in June.






Also in June, we enjoyed the warm sunshine while touring Gettysburg–then came home and had a sunshine pie.


That's me looking up at Louisiana's Gettysburg monument
The scene from Little Round Top


JULY

Had a great time watching the 4th of July fireworks in Jim Thorpe, PA–and then eating this fireworks pie!












AUGUST

I created this depiction of the Chicago skyline when my hubby went to the Christian Leadership Conference in Willow Creek.


Our second August pie, a bit burned thanks to a tricky oven, celebrated a long weekend spent at the Jersey Shore.


Waving from the waves: Daughters Emily and Lauren, future son-in-law Andrew, and my hubby John


SEPTEMBER

A pie to celebrate the last lazy days of summer.



Belle in her life jacket, ready to hit the lake for some fun.

Also in September, I made this pie in honor of our son-in-law-to-be, Andrew, who plays for the Pottstown Flames basketball team.





OCTOBER

This one's an apple/blueberry pie with a pumpkin design on top. So does that make it a pumpkin pie? ;)



Hubby and daughter Lauren enjoying a fall walk among the autumn leaves
Also in October, this was our Halloween pie.







NOVEMBER

I made this pie as part of our 30th Anniversary celebration in November.






DECEMBER

We had two pies in December. First, my hubby made this one to celebrate the end of the Montco Trail Challenge, a local parks & rec initiative that we participated in.








Finally, here's our last pie of 2018, created by my hubby to celebrate our daughter's New Year's Eve wedding.





Between the holidays, the showers (baby for Emily, bridal for Lauren), the out of town guests, the wedding, and then the arrival of little Arthur earlier this month, you can see why I've gotten a bit behind. But it's all good!

And that's it for 2018. Can't wait to see what fun happenings make it onto our pies in 2019. In the meantime, just one question for you...

What event in your life in the past year deserves to make it onto a pie? 

Let me know in the comments here or on my Facebook page; I'll pick one lucky winner and memorialize your event on our next pie. You won't actually get to eat it, but I'll post photos and at least you can enjoy it virtually.  :) 

1 comment:

  1. My husband started a new job at a grade school in August. He loves it!

    ReplyDelete