Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Adventure in Christmas Village


As a writer, my head is always filling with stories, especially when there are catalysts around.


Take, for example, my little Christmas village. There is nothing special about it. Most of the pieces I've had forever, and they include some pretty standard fare (Well, except for the resident Amish family lol.) But for some reason, the whole process of setting up the village always seems to spark my imagination. In fact, it kind of reminds me of when I was a kid creating adventures for my dolls.

Anyway, this year as I was setting up the Christmas village, I found myself coming up with stories for the various characters–some a little sillier than others, and one that was even scary/suspenseful. 


My husband was in the room, keeping me company as I worked, and with a little input from him, I soon had an adventure all figured out for the entire town.

So, just for fun, I decided to turn that adventure into a video to share here. I had a great time doing it, though I ended up having to divide it into two parts. Thus, today I present Adventure in Christmas Village, Part 1.   I hope you'll take a few minutes to watch it now. It ends in a cliffhanger, so be sure to come back next week for Part 2 of what promises to be one of the more, um, frivolous things you may watch this holiday season. 

For now, why not grab a cup of hot chocolate, settle into a cozy chair, and enjoy...





Mindy's Christmas Village Tips 

I do have two suggestions about how to make your village extra special: 

  • Using whatever's handy–bowls, boxes, etc.–create some hills and valleys under the snow to provide a multi-dimensional experience. 
  • If, like me, you've made the mistake of buying characters in different sizes, simply put the bigger ones in front and the smaller ones in back, and it'll lend the whole scene a bit of perspective.


A Village Custom

I also have a fun tradition to share, one that you may want to try as well. I usually set up the village in early December, but every year I sneak in one new item on Christmas Eve, usually something small. Then, on Christmas morning, the rest of the family has to figure out what that new addition is. (Last year's add was a little family of ducks.) Best of all, to keep costs down, I'll usually buy next year's item during this year's after-Christmas sales and simply tuck it away till then.

And that's it for now. I hope you're also having fun decorating your home for Christmas. Be sure to come back next week, for Part 2 of our Christmas village adventure.

*******

Don't forget, for a limited time, all autographed 
books purchased from this website are 50% off!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful village! I enjoyed your little adventure.
    I've always wanted to have my own Christmas village, but I haven't quite figured out yet where I'd put it... ;) Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Looking forward to part 2 ! We have no room for a Christmas village although, I'd love to have one.

    ReplyDelete