Monday, January 4, 2016

Getting Organized in the New Year

No, I'm not talking about my closets, I'm talking about this blog. It's time to get organized and provide a little structure to the various things I'll be doing on here this year.  Part of my problem is that my interests are so varied, as are my books–a big "no no" in the world of branding and marketing and all of that. But I like the recent quote from Adele, who said “[Branding] makes me sound like a fabric softener, or a packet of crisps. I’m not that.”

No, Adele, you're not, and neither am I. In fact, I'll continue to persist in my belief that an author can tackle different projects in a variety of genres and still satisfy her core readership with the books they love.

Keeping the Fires Going

More importantly, I'm fully aware that I'm the sort of person who has to have variety in her creative efforts or the spark in her imagination will slowly die away. What keeps that fire going inside my brain is change.

That's not to say that I won't return again and again to the same sorts of stories–I can't wait to write another gothic mystery like Whispers of the Bayou or a new detective series like the Million Dollar Mysteries–just that I need to switch it up now and then, whether that means writing Amish fiction for a while or my new modern/historical series with Leslie Gould or nonfiction like The House That Cleans Itself, or even children's books like my upcoming Little Ones of Lancaster County series. You just never know where my mind will take me next. But I do appreciate everyone who sticks with me through it all, and I hope to do a better job this year of keeping you informed about upcoming projects–especially that new series with Leslie, which I'm so excited about.

Back to the Plan

Anyhoo, I have decided to organize this blog in a unique way, by assigning a specific topic to each day of the week. That's not to say I'll be posting every day, because I know that's not going to happen, at least not consistently. But when I do post, I'll tailor the topic to the day, just to make this blog more accessible and easy to navigate. 

For example, if you're only here to win free stuff, that's fine, you'll want to tune in on "Free Fridays," when all of my giveaways will be taking place. If you're interested in my writing and research and what I'm working on now, stop by on "Writing Wednesdays," when I'll share about all of that. 

In fact, here's the full list of what you can expect to see on here in the coming weeks...







A Few Questions, Asked and Answered


What about Mondays?
You may have noticed that in the above list of graphics, Mondays are missing. That's because my recurring topic for Mondays is a very special one that will require a bit of explanation first. Curious? Then be sure to come back on Monday, February 15th, when I'll tell you all about it.

So if you're not posting every day, how will I know when to stop by and take a look?
Your best bet is probably to look in the sidebar along the right side of this blog and sign up in the "Follow by Email" box. That way, whenever I do put up a new post, it'll be emailed to you automatically.

What about an RSS Feeder and other ways of staying on top of things?
That will be coming soon. I'm currently working with my webmaster on a major overhaul of my website, which will include a redesign and integration of this blog into the site. Once my webmaster gets her high-tech hands on it, she'll be able to add in all the usual bells and whistles. For now, I'm limited to the email sign-up, which is the best my non-techie mind can handle. :)

So what should I do next?
Well, here are a few suggestions...
• Sign up to follow this blog by email
• Enjoy the posts whenever they pop up
• Share your comments as often as possible
• Feel free to pose questions for "Tell me Tuesdays" as well as suggested topics for posts on other days. (You can do this via the comments or by sending an email, I'll see both.)
• Tell your friends to check out this blog
• Keep coming back!

A New Year, A New Book

My next manuscript is due to the publisher on Feb. 1st, so this month I'm actually in full-on deadline mode. That means I probably won't be posting all that much in January, though the pace should pick back up again in February, once the book has been turned in and I have more time–and mental space–to spend on here. So do hang in there, and I'll be sure to post whenever I can.

Thanks again for being a part of this new blog, and be sure to let me know what you think of my proposed daily topics. In fact, I'd love to know, which day's topic intrigues you the most?

3 comments:

  1. I love your enthusiasm. :-) Thanks for making me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to say Top Tip Thursday and Selfie Saturday. The House That Cleans Itself is a wonderful book. I loved reading it even though I automatically already did a lot of the stuff in it. Tips like that are very helpful. News and information about you and your family will be very interesting. I'm looking forward to your future blog posts. :)

    ReplyDelete